Kia Sportage has been around in the market for quite some time now. In that regards, it is quite obvious that the basic characteristics of this model are quite well established right now. So, everyone knows what the upcoming model could possibly offer. Having said that, the completely redesigned Kia Sportage 2017 will bring in certain critical changes, making it much quieter and more refined as compared to the previous model. While it isn’t the best performing, most fuel efficient or most spacious model in its class, it still serves as just the right vehicle for sporty driving and comfortable ride.
Kia Sportage 2017 – Improvement over its Predecessor
With this upcoming model, two of the major drawbacks of the previous model have been addressed by the company. The backseat of the previous model was quite cramped, and it will be made remarkable more spacious now. Secondly, the ride is now more compliant rather than being firm. All in all, the upcoming Kia Sportage 2017 is turning out to be a standout model among small crossover SUVs.
Body Styles and Features
This upcoming small crossover SUV will have a seating capacity of five passengers, and it will be offered in three trim levels:
- LX trim: the standard features offered with LX trim include LED running lights, 17-inch alloy wheels, rear privacy tinted windows, auto headlights, tilt and telescoping steering wheel, foldable rear seatbacks, rear climate vents, Bluetooth, and 5-inch High-quality six-speaker sound system will also be offered with an auxiliary input jack, satellite radio and USB port.
- EX Trim: EX trim will have upgraded 18-inch wheels along with heated mirrors, fog lights, windshield wiper, gloss black grille, roof rails, dual illuminated vanity mirrors, leather upholstery. There will be some other noted features like keyless ignition and entry, heated front seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, rear USB charging port, dual zone auto climate control and a 7-inch touchscreen with latest Uvo infotainment system from Kia.
- SX trim: This is the top trim for 2017 Kia Sportage, it features 19-inch wheels, automatic high beams, adaptive xenon headlights, LED foglights. LED turn signals on power folding mirrors, panoramic sunroof, sport tuned suspension, LED lighting in the interior, gloss black interior accent, ventilated front seat, Harman Kardon audio system with eight speakers, navigation system and 8-inch touchscreen interface.
For the lower trim levels, several of these features can be added optionally. The Popular Package for LX trim adds features like heated mirrors, roof rails, power driver seat and heated front seats. The 7-inch touchscreen is offered with cool and connected package along with automatic climate control and Uvo infotainment system.
Features like a panoramic sunroof, LED interior lighting, heated steering wheel, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror is added with Premium Package for EX trim. Technology package also throws in features such as ventilated front seat, Harman Kardon audio system, and 8-inch touchscreen.
Kia Sportage 2017 – Drivetrain Details
For the LX and EX trim, Kia Sportage 2017 is powered by a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine that is capable of generating 181 hp along with 175-pound feet of torque. On the other hand, the SX Turbo model has a turbocharged 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine under its hood, capable of producing 240 hp and 260-pound feet of torque. Both the engine will be mated with a 6-speed auto transmission unit. All Wheel Drive is offered optionally while Front Wheel Drive is standard.
EPA ratings suggest that the Kia Sportage 2017 LX will have a mileage of 23/ 30/26 mpg for city/highway/combined drive with front wheel drive. All Wheel Drive system provides a fuel economy of 21/25/22 mpg for city/highway/combined drive.
The official estimates of the EX trim are a little different, but the mileage will be near about the same for real world driving. SX Turbo trim’s fuel economy drops to 21/26 mpg on city/highway while the combined mileage is 23 mpg with FWD. With AWD, it offers 21 mpg combined with 20/23 mpg on city/highway.
While the fuel economy numbers for 2017 Kia Sportage are slightly better than that of the previous model, they still continue to be somewhat unimpressive for a small crossover with a four-cylinder unit. Several competitors, particularly those with AWD configuration offer better fuel efficiency.
Standard safety features offered with Kia Sportage 2017 includes:
- Antilock disc brakes
- Stability control
- Traction control
- Rearview camera
- Side airbags for the front seats
- Hill start assist
- Full-length side curtain airbags
Additional safety features offered with the SX Turbo trim includes forward collision mitigation system, blind spot monitoring system, rear cross-traffic alert, emergency braking, parking sensors and lane departure warning.
Kia Sportage 2017 – Release Date and Price
It is assumed that the Kia Sportage 2017 will release sometime during summer of 2016. It will have a starting price of $23,885 which comparatively lesser than 2016 model’s starting price. Having said that, additional features with SX all-wheel drive increases the cost to $33,395, which is $2510 more than its predecessor.